Sunday, June 1, 2008
Museo di Castelvecchio is a museum located in a medieval castle which was restored by the Italian Architect, Carlo Scarpa, between 1959 and 1973. Scarpa's sensitive interventions are most prominent in the places of human contact with the building, notably circulation and thresholds. Scarpa's intimate knowledge of materials is visible in the exquisite detailing and harmony between the old and the new. Scarpa also designed many of the display case's and frames which house paintings and sculptures.
Scarpa's remarkable ability to intervene in the sensitive fabric of old italian cities enriches both the existing builing and context and the new architecture.