Friday, January 30, 2009

OVERLAND : STAGE ONE

Overland : Stage 1OVERLAND : STAGE 1

The first section of the trip will take me from London, the largest city in the EU across the North Sea to Amsterdam. Since living in Amsterdam for 12 months in 2000 the Dutch have built a number of interesting contemporary buildings and completed a few large scale urban developments in and around Amsterdam. During my time in Holland I will also visit Almere, to see buildings by SANAA and OMA and Utrecht to see Wiel Aret's Library and re-visit a number of fantastic buildings on the University Campus and Rietveld's small Modernist gem, the Schroeder House.

From Amsterdam I will travel by train to Essen to see the recently completed Zollverein Design School by SANAA building and then onto Cologne to see Peter Zumthor’s ‘Kolumba Museum’. From Cologne I will travel north east to Hamburg before heading across to Berlin, my favorite city, and Dresden. Leaving Germany I will continue south into Prague, where Josef Plecknik produced his most famous work, and Brno to see Mies van der Rohe’s Tugendhat house.

From the Czech Republic a train will take me to Vienna, home of Adolf Loos and the Secessionists. Following a few days in Vienna I will travel by hydrofoil along the Danube to Budapest and then onto Sofia before arriving at Istanbul. Finishing stage one of the trip with a visit to the Hagia Sophia and the Turkish Baths.

No comments: